Make a Pop-Up Explosion Card Just For Your Train Loving Friends!
A pop-up explosion card is a super fun way to add tons of details and multiple versions in a theme and this vintage train with all its different cars seemed like a perfect fit. There are lots of train fanatics out there – I know a woman who bought her business because it was right near a train station! – and of course, little ones love these kinds of things. What better for a small fry than a special “Choo-choo” card? To make this card I used A2 Pop Up Box Card Kit, Train, Pine Tree Forest, Tabbed Mountains, Grass #2, and Small Birds. The Pine Tree Forest is one of the many dies and stamps ion sale in the Rubbernecker Destash Sale.
Assemble the 3D Pop Up Box Base
- Cut the light blue paper layering pieces.
- 2 2″ x 5 3/8″
- 6 2″ x 2 5/8″
- Attach the paper layers to the inside and outside card base using double stick tape.
- Apply double stick tape to the box tab, line it up and secure the box closed.
- Cut the green sections to fit the tabs included in the kit and attach them with double stick tape.
- Apply double stick tape to the tabs on both sides and insert them inside the box.
- Attach a mountain section to the inside front of the box using double stick tape.
- Attach additional mountain sections to the box flaps using double stick tape.
Pine Tree Forest Sections
- Cut the pine tree forest sections using green cardstock and cut sections apart to fit the box background and flaps.
- Apply strips of mounting tape to the back of the tree sections and attach them to the box background.
- Apply pieces of mounting tape to the back top tree sections and glossy accents to the bottom of the trees and attach them to the flaps.
- Pro Tip: Using pieces of mounting tape at the top of the trees allows them to stand away from the flap. Using an adhesive at the bottom of the trees on the flap keeps them flat to fit behind the train cars.
- Apply glossy accents to the front bottom of a few trees and attach them to the back of the insert tabs to fill in behind the train.
Assemble The Train
- Cut the train and track pieces out in the colors of your choice.
- Follow the step by step directions below. These directions will live on the Rubbernecker store site with the train link.
- I used glossy accents, rolled glue dots and mounting tape to assemble and attach all the pieces.
- I modified one of the train cars by using the top roof portion of the engine housing to create a caboose.
The Train and Birds
- Attach the track sections to the top and flap sections using glossy accents.
- Apply glossy accents to the back of the engine wheels and attach it to the train track section.
- Cut two 1.50″ strips of black cardstock to use as brackets on the back of the train.
- Apply glossy accents to the brackets and attach them to the back of the train and ground sections.
- Pro Tip: Always add extra reinforcement to large pieces like the train engine when using them on a card with moving parts.
- Apply pieces of mounting tape to the upper back section of the train cars and glossy accents to the back of the wheels and attach them to the flaps.
- Use red cardstock to cut the birds and color their beaks using a black marker.
- Apply small pieces of mounting tape to the back of the birds and attach them to the sky areas of the card.
You can see from this tutorial that making a pop-up explosion card isn’t really all that difficult and gives you lots of little spots to create. Start with a pre-scored card from the Card Kit and just go wild! Check out this Pop Up Box link to see lots of pop up boxes with all kinds of themes.