This handmade toy train Christmas card is just so adorable and has the most amazing details!
I don’t really like to toot my own horn but I have to say that this handmade toy train Christmas card is just so breathtaking in real life and I keep going back to look at it again and again. Putting it on a slimline card worked out perfectly since it really created a whole scene and the extra space made it look like the train was chugging along. It would have fit on a mini slimline, and a horizontal A2 card base too, but I just love all that extra space to set it off .
To make this card using the newly released Rubbernecker Toy Train paired with the Slimline Quilted Cover, Deckle Hills, Evergreen Trees, Greenery #1 and falling snowflakes using negative circles from the Nested Scallop with Holes and the star from the Owl Christmas Add On.
You do not have to use all the same dies I did but people do ask and I want to make sure that when you sit down to make it yourself, I want you to be able to jump right in to the fun! And please note that Rubbernecker is so helpful by providing their very handy assembly cheat guides for their more intricate designs. I’ve included it here in my post and it is also on their website so you always know what goes where!
Do you want to make one? Let’s get started!
Card Base, Snow Layers and Trees
- Use white cardstock to cut a 7.00″ x 8.50″ piece of cardstock, place the 7.00″ side at the top of the Scor-Pal and score it down the center at 3.50″.
- Cut the Slimline Quilted Cover using light blue cardstock and attach it to the card base using double stick tape. Pro Tip: I applied the double stick tape on all four borders of the cover and also in a few key spots in the center section. I wanted to keep the center flat down on the card base.
- Cut two Deckle Hills snow layers using white cardstock and attach them to the card base using double stick tape.
- Use green cardstock to cut the Evergreen Trees, run them through the straight crimper, tuck them in behind the snow layer and attach to the card base using pieces of mounting tape.
The Amazingly Detailed Toy Train
- Cut the Toy Train sections using red, green, gray and black cardstock.
- Follow the instruction steps shown below. These parts all go together easily so don’t be intimidated. These instructions are also shown with the Toy Train on the store site.
- I added a little topper on the caboose by cutting the smoke stack sections off the engine and attached them using glossy accents.
Finish the Scene
- Apply Connect glue to the train tracks and attach them to the front snow layer.
- Cut tiny Greenery branches and punch tiny red circles and attach them to the train cars using glossy accents.
- Use pieces of mounting tape to attach the train cars to the snow layers.
- Cut the star from the Owl Christmas Add On set using yellow cardstock and attach it to the sky area using a small piece of mounting tape.
- Use white cardstock to cut a section of the Nested Scallop with Holes and attach the tiny white negative circles to the trees and train using Connect glue.
- Finish by apply red stickles to the tiny arrangements and yellow stickles to the star.
Here are the items you will want to have to make this same card:
While this handmade toy train Christmas card IS one of my more complex projects, it’s not difficult. Having all those incredible details that take this from cute to captivating made by the dies can be your secret! Just let them ooh and aah while you go make another one!