Good Saturday morning. My project today was made for the Splitcoaststampers Mix-Ability challenge. The weekly challenge is to use mixed medium on your project. You can find a more detailed explanation of about mixed medium here. The theme this week was to create a project with tulips and to use at least three medium.
I decided to try an experiment and create a scene on a weathered crackle paint background. You can check out my Weathered Distressed Wood tutorial if you would like to see step by step photos of how I created this background.
Here’s what I came up with.
I started by applying a few coats of white crackle paint on a 5.25” x 4.00” piece of cardboard and heat dried in between coats. I then used a Color Box stylus and foam tip to apply blue distress ink in the sky area and green ink on the ground area. I was able to sponge the ink on and then used a circular motion to blend and smooth it out. I especially like how the white crackle still showed through the blue in some areas. I then used the mini fern image from my Kittie Kits Outdoor Master and green ink to apply texture to the grass area and dark pink ink to create a floral background.
My next step was to mask off the landscape with scrap paper and stamp the tree from the Impression Obsession Solid Tree set using dark brown ink. The image was very faint so I used a dark brown Copic marker to fill in most of the tree. I stamped the leaves on with dark green ink which again only created faint images so I filled in with a dark green Copic marker. When I was finished with the scene I marked off 1/2” sections and used my ruler, paper piercer and leaf tool to score out the wood plank lines and sanded off the chunks of peeled up paper and paint with a sanding block. I used a mini applicator and dark brown ink to fill in the distressed spots to add more definition to the seams between the boards. Did that make sense?
Here’s a closer view of the distressed wood and tree.
I cut the tiny tulips from the Tulip set using white cardstock and colored them with Copic markers. Although it is really hard to see in the photos I applied a bit of shading to the tulips using a mini applicator and a bit of pink, orange and lavender PanPastel. I lightly formed the tulip heads with my stylus and molding pad. I cut the Grass Border sections and the Fresh Cut Grass sections and attached them to the scene with ATG adhesive. I cut several pieces of foliage using the Leaves and Stems set. I tucked the tulips and leaves in between the grass and attached with glossy accents. I ended up covering up much of the grassy floral background. If I had this to do over I would have only applied one layer of grass and tulips so more of the background scene would show. But with that said I still like how my experiment turned out. Who knew you could stamp and color on top of crackle paint.
Thank you for stopping by today and I hope you have a wonderful weekend.
Card Size: 5.50” x 4.25”