For my project today I created a striped background image as the base for my beach scene, The blue stripes are reminiscent of beach huts from days gone by and are the perfect backdrop for my scene. My card was made using the Rubbernecker Horizontal Stripe Background, Palm Trees, Sun/Moon, Knob Top Fence, Deckle Hills, Grass #2, Lifeguard Tower (surf board), Small Birds, Nested Rectangle and Splatter Background (sand dunes).
Striped Background Image
- Secure white cardstock and the background stamp in the MISTI.
- Apply Warm Breeze ink to the stamp and stamp the image.
- Apply clear embossing powder to the background and heat emboss. Note: I like to use super fine embossing powder.
- Trim the striped layer down to 5.25″ x 4.00″.
- Apply strips of mounting tape and attach it to an white A2 sized card base.
The Sky and Ocean
- Die cut a rectangle white layer using the third largest die in the nested Rectangle set.
- Mask off the sky area and use Beachside Ink and a blender brush to apply the ocean.
- Remove the mask and apply the cloudy sky background using lighter shades of Beachside ink and a blender brush.
- Apply white embossing paste to the water by lightly dabbing it with your finger to create the appearance of sea foam,
- Sprinkle with clear glitter and set aside to dry.
- Layer the background scene on a piece of white cardstock just slightly larger than the scene and attach with ATG adhesive,
- Attach the scene layer to the card base using strips of mounting tape.
The Palm Trees and Sand
- Cut the sand layer using Kraft cardstock and the Deckle Hill die and trim to fit the scene layer..
- Apply a light layer of Mocha ink to the sand using a blender brush and stamp the Splatter Background to add texture to the sand.
- Apply strips of mounting tape to the back of the sand layer and attach it to the scene layer.
- Cut the palm trees using green and Kraft cardstock. Lightly color the palm trunks using a mini applicator and Mocha ink.
- Attach the palm fronds to the trunks using glossy accents and gently form the fronds with your fingers.
- Tuck the palm trees in behind the sand and attach to the scene using rolled up strips of double tick tape.
The Sun, Fence and Grass
- Cut the fence using Kraft cardstock and apply Mocha ink using a mini applicator.
- Trim off the top of the knob fence, tuck it in behind the sand layer and attach using glossy accents.
- Use bright yellow cardstock to cut the sun and apply yellow Stickles to add sparkle.
- Attach the sun (once it is dry) to the top corner of the scene using a large piece of mounting tape.
- Cut the small grass sprigs using green cardstock and attach in behind the sand layers using glossy accents.
- Cut the surfboard using bright yellow cardstock and attach a green strip across the top to add another color for interest.
- Attach the surfboard to the scene using a piece of mounting tape.
- Finish the scene by cutting small birds using white cardstock, apply touches of Chill ink with a mini applicator and attach them to the sky area using small pieces of mounting tape.
Do you think the striped background image layer adds interest to the beach scene? I am having lots of fun using my new background stamps. I think I’m going to have to go on another shopping trip to get some more. LOL! Check out my Black and White Background Card to see another card with a striped background. You can find lots more background stamp inspiration on Pinterest. Thank you for coming by and I hope you have a great day.
Here are the dies and stamps used for my card.
Tools and Supplies.
Striped background images add interest to your cards.