Have you ever wondered how to alter a die cut that you love but maybe doesn’t fit on the card you have planned? Today I am going to show you a couple of tips on how to do this and all of a sudden you will see your collection of dies with new eyes! For this card I wanted to show off Rubbernecker’s newly released Slimline Clouds and Slimline Waves. I paired the new dies with the Lighthouse, Palm Trees, Sun, Small Birds and Grass #2.
The Card Base
- Cut the 7.00″ x 8.50″ slimline card base using white cardstock.
- Score the card base down the center at 3.50″.
- Use a blender brush to apply light blue ink to create the sky background.
The Clouds, Waves and Sand Layers
- Cut the cloud layer using white cardstock and attach it to the card base with a strip of mounting tape.
- Use aqua cardstock to cut two wave layers and attach them to the card base using double stick tape.
- Cut the sand layer using one of the wave dies and Kraft cardstock.
- Use a blender brush to apply light brown ink to the sand and attach it to the card base using a strip of mounting tape.
- Note: Using the wave die for sand shows how we can think outside the box and increase the ways we can use our dies.
- Cut the lighthouse parts using red, white and blue cardstock.
- Mix and match the pieces to create a colorful lighthouse. and attach them together using glossy accents.
- Shorten the lighthouse to fit the height of the card base by altering the placement of the top light portion and cutting a small portion off the bottom. Note: Altering the height of the lighthouse allows me to use it on several different sized cards.
- Apply pieces of mounting tape to the back of both lighthouse sections and attach them in behind the sand layer.
The Palm Trees
- Cut the palm tree fronds and trunk using Kraft and green cardstock.
- Apply brown ink to the trunks using a mini applicator.
- Gently bend the fronds with your fingers and attach them to the trunks using glossy accents.
- Apply strips of mounting tape to the back of the trunks, tuck them in behind the sand and attach them to the card base.
Sun, Grass and Bird
- Cut the grass sprigs using green cardstock, tuck them around the trees and lighthouse and attach using glossy accents.
- Cut the sun using bright yellow cardstock, cut the top portion off and tuck it under the cloud and attach using mounting tape.
- Use white cardstock to cut the bird, apply a touch of gray ink to the wings and attach it to the card base using a small piece of mounting tape.
You can see how easy it was for me to alter a die cut to fit my card size and how to use a die meant for one thing and using it for another. Take a look at your dies and let me know how you may extended the ways to use them. Check back tomorrow to see how I used these new slimline dies on an A2 sized card.
5328-03D Slimline Waves Die
5328-01D Slimline Clouds Die
5202-05D Light House Die Cut
5212-06D Palm Trees Die Cut
Sun Moon Die 5147-07D
Small Birds Die 5147-06D
5210-02D Grass #2 Die Cut
Color Fuse Set #9
Color Fuse Set #12
Color Fuse Set #3
Mini Applicators, 12 pk, PanPastel Sofft
Life Changing Blender Brush Set,…
Mini Glossy Accents, Ranger Accents
Scotch Foam Mounting Tape
Fiskars 01-005452 Recycled Bypass…
ATG Kit, Advanced Tape Glider
Teflon Bone Folder, Essentials by Ellen
Scor-Pal Measuring & Scoring Board 12×12
Crossover II Fabric & Paper Cutting…
3mm (1/8″), Be Creative Tape
5mm (1/4″), Be Creative Tape