Today I am sharing a clean and simple card that uses negative die cuts to add a level of detail that LOOKS extra fun and takes SECONDS to create! I guarantee you will start seeing all kinds of new creative possibilities when you look at your cardmaking dies after you check this out! To make this card I used the Rubbernecker Nested Rectangle Scallop, Star Burst and Fireworks, Balloons and the sentiment is from the Kittie Says Phrases #1 set.
The Card Base and Negative Die Cut Layer
- Cut an A2 sized card base and scallop layer using white cardstock.
- Place the scallop layer on the cutting platform and lay the Fireworks dies on the layer and run through the machine. Note: These dies are made without an outer cutting edge and are intended to cut a design out of a solid piece of cardstock.
- Cut a piece of red cardstock large enough to fit behind the die cut openings and attach it to the card base using ATG adhesive.
- Apply strips of mounting tape to the back of the scallop layer and attach it to the card base.
The Balloon and Sentiment
- Cut a white strip of cardstock about an inch tall and cut the edges using the rectangle scallop die.
- Stamp the sentiment using Nocturne ink.
- Apply a strip of mounting tape to the back of the sentiment piece and attach it to the card front.
- Cut the balloon using red cardstock.
- Create a small gold bow using metallic gold string and attach it to the balloon using glossy accents. Note: The gold string doesn’t like adhesive very much so I apply a good amount of glossy accents and allow several minutes for it to dry well to make sure the bow has adhered to the balloon.
- Apply a piece of mounting tape to the back of the balloon and attach it to the card front.
Here are the products used for this card.
Nested Rectangle Scallop Die Cut 5028D
5319-04D Star Bursts/Fireworks Die
5319-03D Balloons Die
3308 Kittie Says Phrases #1
String by the Spool – Metallic Gold,…
VersaFine Clair Ink Pad, Nocturne
Mini Glossy Accents, Ranger Accents
Scotch Foam Mounting Tape
ATG Kit, Advanced Tape Glider
Teflon Bone Folder, Essentials by Ellen
Scor-Pal Measuring & Scoring Board 12×12
Crossover II Fabric & Paper Cutting…
Clear Acrylic Block 3.25″ X 4.25″…
Does this give you some ideas on how you can use negative die cuts in your cardmaking? Are you seeing all kinds of new possibilities? Let me know – I LOVE to hear what you think!