Welcome to the Impression Obsession Things With Wings challenge. I chose to create a tree full of fall colored leaves and birds. I disassembled the new Spotted Deer Frame and used the two tree sections to create the base for my tree. I paired the tree with leaves from the Oak Leaves and Rake, Picket Fence, Grass Border, Small Grass Border and Small Birds.
The Tree Base
- Cut the Spotted Deer Frame using Kraft cardstock.
- Cut the two tree sections away from the frame.
- Apply Antique Linen ink directly on the tree sections using the ink pad and then follow by applying Vintage Photo ink. Hint: The light color ink dampens the cardstock and makes applying darker ink go on more smoothly.
- Figure out how you want the two tree sections to fit together to make a full looking tree and then attach them together by applying glossy accents.
Coloring The Leaves and Birds
- Cut several sections of the small oak leaves.
- Use mini applicators to apply touches of Fired Brick, Shabby Shutters and Spiced Marmalade ink to create the colorful fall leaves. I ended up adding touches of Peeled Paint over the Shabby Shutters spots to enhance the green.
- Use mini applicators to Chipped Sapphire and Spiced Marmalade to the birds.
Attaching The Leaves and Birds
- Attach the leaves to the branches using glossy accents and continue to fill in the tree.
- Trim off the two birds formed into the tree branches using scissors.
- Attach the colored birds over top of the trimmed bird areas using small pieces of mounting tape.
Build The Scene
- Cut a piece of blue cardstock and white cardstock to create scene layers.
- Apply ATG adhesive to the back of the blue layer and attach to the white.
- Apply thin strips of mounting tape to the back of the blue and white layer and attach to the card base.
- Attach the tree to the card base using thin strips of mounting tape. Use rolled glue dots to attach a few upper branches to the card base.
- Attach the two grass borders together using double stick tape.
- Attach the grass borders to the picket fence using double stick tape.
- Attach the fence and grass section to the card base using strips of mounting tape.
- Attach additional birds in the scene using small pieces of mounting tape.
- Attach a few leaves falling from the tree and in the grass using glossy accents.
- Apply Spectrum Noir clear Sparkle pen to the leaves and birds to add a touch of sparkle.
I hope you’ll come along and play in the challenge with us. You can find all the details about prizes on the Impression Obsession blog.