Felt ornaments looks so cozy on the Christmas tree and adds a homespun feel for the holidays. I’ve been having fun using felt to make Christmas ornaments. The poinsettia mug ornaments I shared a few days ago were made on a flat felt surface. For today’s ornament I created a soft fiber filled pillow background for my winter cabin scene.
The Die Cut Felt Parts
- Cut two white circle sections and a white deckle hill section. Use the circle die to cut the deckle hill section.
- Use gray and white felt to cut the cabin sections and attach them together using Crafter’s Pick tacky glue.
- Cut one set of evergreen trees and tiny leaves using green felt.
- Punch out 1/8″ circles and cut small birds using red felt.
- Use yellow felt to cut the tiny star.
Create the Scene
- Apply tacky glue to the back of the trees and attach to the front white felt circle.
- Use tacky glue to attach the cabin to the trees and the circle base.
- Attach the tiny green leaves, red circle, red birds and yellow star to the scene using tacky glue.
- Secure the two round felt circles and the snow layer together using straight pins.
- Thread an embroidery needle with white embroidery floss and sew the pieces together using an overcast whip stitch and leave a small section open to use to add fiber fill. Note: Check out this American Felt and Craft link to see several different stitch options. Please don’t take a close look at my stitching. My needle point was not sharp enough and made it difficult for me to get through the felt to create even stitches.
- Insert fiber fill to the inside of the white circles to create a soft pillow appearance and then compete stitching to close the opening.
- Create the thread hanger by inserting the needle in between the top layers, pulling the thread up through , create the loop and secure with a couple french knots.
Here are the dies I used to create my ornament.
Here are the tools and supplies used.
Have you made handmade felt ornaments for your own tree or to give as gifts?They are so fun to make and go together quite easily. Here is a Pinterest link to handmade felt Christmas ornaments for more inspiration. Please feel free to add links to your felt ornaments in the comment section. I would love to see what you come up with. Thanks for coming by and I hope you have a great weekend.