When I started down this path, I had NO idea that DIY gift tags are so hot this year! I haven’t dived into the “why” but I sure love the results because I think making tags is so much fun, they can be used so many ways and you can sure use up lots of scraps! Check out my three Snowmen Tags. These reindeer just have the cutest expressions on their faces and I love that these tags, with their tones of brown and outdoor theme, are perfect for masculine gifts or cards. Yes, that’s right – remember, you can add some trim to the tops of these tags and pop them on a card front for something truly unique!
The Tag Base
- Cut the tag base using red cardstock and the largest tag die.
- Cut the second layer using designer paper and the second sized tag.
- Attach the designer paper tag to the red tag using ATG adhesive.
- Use white cardstock and deckle die to cut the snow layer.
- Use the smaller tag die to cut the bottom of the snow layer to make it match the designer paper tag.
- Apply ATG adhesive to the sides and bottom of the snow layer and attach it to the tag. Note: I leave the top section of the snow layer free from adhesive so I can tuck the trees and greenery in behind it.
- Punch a hole in the top of each tag.
The Birch Trees and Greenery
- Cut two sections of deckle hills and birch trees using white cardstock.
- Use a mini applicator to apply a light shade of gray to the notches on the birch trees.
- Use green cardstock to cut the greenery sections.
The Reindeer and Birds
- Cut the reindeer sections using brown, tan, white and light pink cardstock.
- Use red cardstock to cut the birds, wings and scarves.
- Attach the wings to the bird bodies using glossy accents and color the beaks using a black marker.
- Use a mini applicator to apply a light shade of brown ink on the deer bodies and head.
- Assemble the antlers, ears and face sections and attach using glossy accents.
- Attach the scarves to the reindeer using glossy accents.
- Apply pieces of mounting tape to the back of the heads and attach them to the bodies.
Finish the Tag
- Apply strips of mounting tape to the back of the birch trees and tuck them in behind the snow layers and attach to the tag base.
- Use small pieces of mounting tape on the back of the reindeer to attach them to the front of the snow layers.
- Apply small pieces of mounting tape to the back of the birds and attach them to the birch trees.
- Tuck the greenery sections in behind the snow layers and attach with glossy accents.
Do you have DIY gift tags on your list to make this year? Have you chosen all your ideas and inspiration? I sure hope these adorable fellas make your list! You may want to check out my Christmas Gift Tags for a more elegant set of tags.
DIY gift tags are so much fun to make and look great on your gifts.