I changed things up a bit from making spring projects and made a fall side step card. I wanted to use the new Rubbernecker Garden Tools set again and my mind jumped straight to falling leaves, pumpkins in the garden and squirrels jumping from place to place looking for acorns. For this project I also used the Winter Tree, the new Spring Leaves, Wagon, Pumpkins and Ivy, Chicken/Squirrels, Leaves and Greenery, Picket Fence and Grass. The card base was made using The Paper Cut Outer Stair Step Card kit.
The Side Step Card Base
- Cut a piece of white cardstock 3 3/8″ wide and tall enough to match the front panel in height when folded down.
- Apply clouds using light blue ink, a blender brush and cloud template to both the front panel and tall side step panel.
- Use Green cardstock to cut grass layers.
- Cut three strips 5 1/2″ wide and approximately 1″ tall.
- Cut two strips 3 3/8″ wide and approximately 1 1/2″ tall.
- Use white cardstock to cut two sections of the picket fence..
Assemble the Base Pieces
- Attach the tall cloud layer to the back stair step using double stick tape.
- Apply double stick tape to the lower back portions of the two grass sections to cover the center and back step section and attach them in place.
- Use strips of mounting tape on the back of the picket fence sections and attach them to the card base.
- Attach the front grass sections to the front card base using double stick tape.
The Tree and Leaves
- Cut the tree using Kraft cardstock and apply ink directly to the paper using the brown ink pad.
- Use white cardstock to cut several sections of the leaves and color them using a mini applicator and green, rust and orange inks.
- Form the leaves using the leaf tool and molding pad.
- Attach the leaves to the tree branches using glossy accents.
- Use a strip of mounting tape on the back of the tree trunk and rolled glue dots on the back of some of the leaves and attach it to the card base.
Color the Wagon, Pumpkins, Garden Tools and Squirrels
- Use gray cardstock to cut the wagon and garden tools, yellow cardstock to cut the pumpkins and white cardstock to cut the squirrels.
- Use mini applicators to apply mustard and orange inks to color the pumpkins and brown ink to color the stems.
- Color the wagon using mini applicators and brown and rust inks.
- Apply light and dark brown inks with mini applicators to color the squirrels.
- Color the garden tools with orange ink and a mini applicator.
Finish the Fall Side Step Card
- Attach layers of the fall leaves on a small scrap piece of cardstock using gloss accents and attach it to the back of the wagon.
- Apply mounting tape to the wagon full of leaves and attach it to the back step.
- Tuck the pumpkins in behind the grass layers and attach using pieces of mounting tape.
- Attach the front rake to the card front with rolled up glue dots.
- Tuck the second rake in the wagon leaves and attach using glossy accents.
- Cut green vines from the Leaves and Greenery set and attach them to the fence and in between the grass layers using glossy accents.
- Apply pieces of mounting tape to the back of the squirrels and attach one to the front grass section and one to the back fence.
I really enjoyed pulling out the fall colored inks to create this fall side step card. It is so rewarding to see all the images come together to create such a colorful and lifelike scene. The side steps help create dimension and draws the eye from the front tree all the way back to the wheelbarrow full of leaves and the squirrel on the back fence. If you would like more inspiration check out my step card category.. Thank you for coming by today and I hope you will take your extra time at home to start thinking ahead to making fall and holiday cards.
Here are the dies used for this project.
Here are the tools and supplies.